Thursday, June 23, 2011

The "Eventually I Got It Right" Skirt

Remember this? It was my second sewing project, a skirt. It didn't turn out very well.

I really liked the concept and wanted the same thing, only better, so a few months ago I made another one. It took a lot of trial and error, because I had no pattern and apparently couldn't do the simple math required to calculate the sizes of the skirt's seven pieces, but eventually I got it right.

It's made of three tiers of cotton lawn fabric. It's longer in the back than it is in the front, which is a major improvement over my first effort. I used a contrasting color, hot pink, to sew the tiers to each other, and finished up with a drawstring closure.

Bad:
1. This fabric's very lightweight and, in the right light, practically transparent.
2. With all the times I messed up, I spent more money on fabric than I would have spent on the skirt if I'd seen it in a store.

Good:
1. It's just the right length. 
2. I finally made something I'm almost 100% happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment