Friday, November 11, 2011

Bathroom Box


That's me in the bathroom of the library on Camp Carroll in South Korea. And that is my second package from home. (The first one was paperwork, and while I send 3 million thanks to my lovely sister for mailing it to me so quickly, the second one didn't have bills in it so is happier.)

When the Post Office guy gave me my box, I had to ask to borrow a pair of scissors. He couldn't find any but instead of saying "Oh, it's okay, nevermind," I just stood there quietly until he went in another room and found some. That was pretty nice of him. I spent like 2 minutes cutting the tape on the box, then whisked it away to the bathroom because I saw packing peanuts in there and you can't just open a box full of packing peanuts in the Post Office parking lot.

Inside the package was a card with my mom's handwriting in it. My mom's handwriting is one of the best things in the world, so familiar and good. Like the smell of coffee brewing in the morning when I'm still tucked in my comfy twin bed in the bedroom in the back of the house (even though that was a long time ago and coffee is gross.) I told her she at least had to stick a Post-It "I love you" in the box. No matter what was in the box, it would've been empty without her handwriting inside.

Also inside the package were MY COOKIES!: Colonial Williamsburg gingerbread cookies. Not three or six, but THIRTEEN HUMONGOUS COOKIES. I've been studying these things for like six years, trying to figure out the secret so I can make them.

You can only buy them at Colonial Williamsburg, but they're so good (and I'm so inconsiderate) that I asked my mom if she and my dad could make the 45-minute trip out there and buy some for me. And they did, they very next weekend.


But there wasn't just cookies and a card and love in there. There were those packing peanuts. I hate packing peanuts because styrofoam makes the earth cry. BUT. These are speeeeeciallllll packing peanuts.





They're made of corn starch or potato starch and they dissolve in water and they're such a wonderful idea and they really should be used in every situation where you need packing peanuts.

I'm eating one of the cookies right now. Dinner is cooking. This blog post made me ruin my dinner.

I have the best family in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment