Monday, November 14, 2011

"GO HOME U.S.!" And Other Signs

To get anywhere here, we walk. Our car's back in the States, and we don't have bikes. I'm glad, actually, most of the time, except when I have groceries, but then I just take a taxi.

Walking around all the time has let me see and photograph so many details I would've missed while driving. A couple of weeks ago I told you guys about the agriculture culture here and showed you, like, 15 pictures of plants. Today I have more pictures, but not of plants.


Okay, this first one. We've been taught that, mostly, the Koreans are glad we're in their country. We've been taught that we're protecting them from North Korea, and that we're helping them preserve their culture and their way of life and helping them not get invaded. Generally, the people here have been friendly and smiley to us. But there's been some minor discomfort lately between the U.S. and South Korea caused by the allegation that we buried chemicals here, including Agent Orange, in the '70's.

One Saturday, there was a group of college-aged kids holding posterboard signs outside one of Camp Carroll's gates. The signs said things like, "GO HOME U.S.!"

There are more signs outside of the gate, hanging by strings tied to lampposts. We can't read them. The only one with an English translation says: "'US ARMY' COME CLEAN ABOUT THE ILLEGAL RECLAMATION ABOUT THE DEFOLIANT!!"

I have this deep need to be liked by everyone, so those people holding up the "GO HOME" signs made me super sad for like five minutes.


The sign in the above picture is happy, though. At least, I think it is. If it has something to do with Tae Kwon Do lessons, then I'm right.


That one's self-explanatory.

No idea what this last one says, but the swastika has something to do with Buddhism.


I just thought the red lantern thing was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment