Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Now I Know What My Shirt Says

We were going through the checkout line with some friends at the PX one evening after shopping for playing cards and Tupperware. While the older Korean cashier man who's kinda my friend because we always smile at each other and so I like him cashiered our purchases, me and Joe and our friends talked about what language was written above the English on my beloved-Christmas-present-from-Joe shirt.


"I don't think it's a real language," I said. "I think it's, like, off of a sci-fi show or something."

Mr. Cashier Man looked at the writing. "That's Japanese," he said.

"Oh, cool," I said. "It doesn't say anything bad, does it?" Because I've always wondered about that.

He took a few seconds to interpret it. "Talk...nerdy...to...me." Then he looked really awkwarded out. Or confused, maybe, about whether that qualified as something bad. But I think he was awkwarded out.

"Oh, good," I said, now feeling slightly awkwarded out, too. "That's awesome. Thank you very much!"

We got our receipt and I bowed my head to Mr. Cashier Man the way I do with Korean people because I think they bow to each other but I'm not really sure but that also works great as a greeting and as "thank you," and we left. I tried to look at the Japanese words on my shirt while we walked out. And all the way home I was happy that my shirt had Japanese writing on it, and also that it didn't say anything bad.

By the way, I was wondering why no one ever subscribed to my blog. Then I noticed that it's never had a Subscribe button. Don't worry, I fixed it. Now there's a button on the side over there. Click on "Join this site" now so I have more than 3 subscribers and can feel even better about myself. (I used to have 4 subscribers, but then I removed myself from the list.)


 If the button isn't there, try refreshing the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment